Saturday, February 26, 2011

a matter of no consequence

i have this notion, while i was reading 'the little prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, that the book would be somewhat shallow and probably be categorized as a children's book. but after reading it, i couldn't help but put it in my 'to-reread' list. here are my fave quotes... i will leave them for your own inspiration :)
Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.i think most of us is struck by this truth: once we become adults, we forget that we were once kids and loose our imagination... that's why everything becomes very complicated.
"One must command from each what each can perform, the king went on. "Authority is based first of all upon reason. If you command your subjects to jump into the ocean, there will be a revolution. I am entitled to command obedience because my orders are reasonable.", said the King. " Then my sunset?" insisted the little prince, who never let go of a question once he had asked it. "You shall have your sunset. I shall command it. But I shall wait, according to my science of government, until conditions are favorable."
this one, for me, pertains to responsible governance and being logical subjects.


Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
i didn't know that this quote comes from this book. it is true... the physical fades, but the heart and compassion remains.


"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
i'm very fond with the fox in this book. he's a feeling creature, and his words are wise. for me, it's like when you start caring and loving someone, you nurture the relationship. and whatever the circumstance is, whether it blooms or fails, we should take responsibility and not absolve ourselves from the commitment.

*my heartfelt thanks to pazette for recommending this book :)*

2 comments:

tracy said...

That's a hat! No, it is a boa constrictor with an elephant inside.

I love the part about the "common" rose--a critical lesson that one hopefully learns in life.

---------------------------------

If you haven't read The Alchemist yet, I recommend you get it. It is quite similar.

The writer takes a spin on known concepts and theories.

Unknown said...

it was very clever of him to start with the story of the boa constrictor.. it conditioned my mind on how i will perceive the book.

i have read the alchemist before, and i want to reread it. the little prince opened up my mind to this kind of literature. :)