Sunday, June 18, 2006

D Day

Sunday, market day and I woke up late *again!* I woke up around 7:30am in the morning to set my alarm clock to 9:30am and forgot to turn on the alarm! eeekk! Anyway, I jump out of bed at 11am and hurriedly tied up my hair then proceeded to the market with Yaya Juvs. It was a cool Sunday so it gave me the good vibes to do some special cooking.

As expected, the market was not jampacked anymore and most of the stalls were empty. Good thing Uncle Chicken *sorry can't make myself ask his name* still has one whole chicken left for me. The usual stall were I buy the sellar fish is cleaning already so I tried another vendor. Then I saw this huge fish head that still has some meat and I thought of making a soup out of the poor thing. Of course pork is never out of my list because I can do anything out of the blue with that piece of meat. The usual veggies is mostly part of the weekly menu, I just add something to spice it up. But usually the ever reliable oyster sauce is on my side hahahha!

That night I cooked the poor head thing and turned it into a sumptuous soup for dinner. You know this soothing feel of the broth travelling in your throat to your tummy and really being able to savor the taste of it? Its so relaxing and feels good to sip some soup with your hubby beside you and praising your dish. Its like winning his heart all over again.. True, the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach. It feels good to have that intuitive taste of knowing the right and almost exact tinge of mouth-watering meal to calm down my nerves.

Yes, I'm guilty of succombing to my appetite's desire *talk about dieting.. shooo! shoo!!*. While others go bargain hunting or shopping til they drop or cutting off this and that with their bodies *poor darn hair..* or color their nails black, I go to the market or grocery and buy my ingredients. I retreat to my kitchen and do some mixing, pouring, chopping, boiling, frying. After everything is done, I taste it and when I'm finally contented with my so-called 'experiment', I call my 'guinea pig' *I love you dadi hihihi!* and have it tested. As soon as I see that smile in his face, that look of satisfaction, all my worries are gone. All the pain, anguish, frustrations, tiredness, irritations and confusion just all go away. I come to peace with the thought that I can still make the most important person in my life happy. And even in a small way of feeding him right makes me feel so lucky and contented. I know that wether the food taste awful or not, he would still admire me and praise me.

To you my dear Dadi Rock, Rak, NiƱo, Nino, Nong, Happy Father's Day!!!


* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

To all the daddys out there, happy father's day! To my papa who has been my enemy, my savior and my adviser, happy father's day.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

The father who would taste the essence of his fatherhood must turn back from the plane of his experience, take with him the fruits of his journey and begin again beside his child, marching step by step over the same old road. ~Angelo Patri

No comments: